Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Terrain Issues

   So I changed something in my code yesterday that caused my program to no longer load terrain files. What was once a hilly plain was now just flat land. I never got past that issue yesterday. It ended up getting too late and I just saved my work and left.

   I revisited that issue today, however. I must have gone through over an hour of trial and error before I found the cause. For some reason, Java was no longer loading my texture files correctly. I had to generate a new file for it to work correctly. Luckily, at this point, I'm not incredibly attached to any of my terrains as they're all for testing purposes. But I'm glad that's finally fixed!

   Unfortunately, as I spent all my time fixing this issue today, I have nothing new to report. I intend to code for another half hour and head off to sleep. But, I shall start posting more interesting things tonight!

   Below, you will see three pictures. The first of them is my Terrain Alpha Map. The engine I use creates a 3d model for the terrain from it by using dark areas as low-points and light areas as high-points. The flat gray area you can see is a road. The second picture is a Texture Map. I currently have RED assigned to a grass texture, GREEN assigned to a dirt texture, and BLUE assigned to a Cobblestone-like road texture. My program interprets that map as a guide to tell it where to place different textures on the terrain. Lastly, I took an in-game screenshot for you all to see what I have so far. You can see the terrain, sky, and my test fire. =D Just note that this is PRE-ALPHA! Click on the images for a larger view!

   G'night!

Alpha Map & Texture Map: 
 

In-game Screenshot:

No comments:

Post a Comment