Pages

Monday, July 23, 2012

Pre-ALPHA 2 (0.0.0_2) has been Reached!

Hey guys!

    I'm very happy to announce that as of a few minutes ago, I fixed the error I spoke of in my last entry. It has been haunting me for days and days, but I finally found a fix, and it seems to be holding steady! (Of course, with my luck, it'll stop working after I post this.) I couldn't be happier at the moment. This was the one error that had been hindering my progress for a while. As you can see, everything runs as it should:

 (And I've since fixed it saying "Lighting Established" twice.)

Time to move forward!

    I'm happy to say that I was able to make a few other improvements as well. I intend to include the ability to change what port a server is hosted on, but I've established "326" as the official unofficial port for the game (the server runs it by default). I've also added a "News" output to the server, that will say things like "PLAYER has connected", as you can see below. The "Active Connections" reading is also accurate now. If three people are online, it will say "3". If one leaves, it will say "2". Previously, it would only ADD one when someone connected, and I would often have it reach "30" while I was testing alone.


    And yes, as you may have guessed, this means that I have also established client names! When you connect to a server, you get to tell it what your name is. Soon, this name will float above your... well... read on.

    Finally, and what I'm most proud of at the moment, is my addition of a player marker! That's right. This nifty little white box renders at your location so everyone else on the server can now see exactly where you are. Implementing this little feature is what caused several of my previous issues, and I'm glad to finally have it working!


    So, as of now, QFang is bug-free and working better than ever. For this reason, I have decided to mark this as my Pre-ALPHA 2 stage (version 0.0.0_2). I'm very happy to finally be able to move onto new features! I believe the next things to be added are items and the player Inventory system. Hurray for working with XML menus!

As always, my loyal followers, wish me luck, and thanks for your support!
- Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment