Pages

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Quest Begins...

   A warm welcome to anyone who's stumbled upon this webpage!

   A video game is a very complex undertaking, but one that I've been wanting to try for quite a while now.   Recently, I finally began my project. I decided it would be a good idea to keep my progress in a blog so that I might stay motivated and productive.

   The first issue I was presented with was what sort of game I wanted to create. Two projects came to mind immediately. One was an RPG (totally not influenced by my recent purchase of Skyrim), and the other was a SFPS. For those of you who are not familiar with SFPS, it stands for Stealth First-Person Shooter (Things like Splinter Cell and Hitman). I've had a fairly extensive plan for a SFPS game for a few years now, and I'm interested to see if I can put it into action. But for now, I will be creating a basic shell of a game until I get to that point where I must start adding details!

   I intend to use this blog to record my progress, post screenshots, information, and ALPHA builds. Anyone who follows is welcome to try out my game and leave me some feedback! Anybody that might be good at making textures, models, or model animations is also free to contact me! I might be needing some assistance in those areas in the future.
   Please feel free to post suggestions, comments, concerns, ideas, etc. Anything constructive is welcome!

Here is a list of things I have programmed so far:
  • HUD that displays Player Health
    • Player Health changes color based on value. (Green/Yellow/Red)
  • Game Over condition when Health is Depleted
  • Physics for Objects and the Player
  • Ability to click to interact with Objects
  • Movement Modifiers
    • Sprint
    • Jog (Default)
    • Walk
    • Crouch
  • AlphaMap generated Terrain
  • Fire/Smoke Effects
  • Background Music
  • Sound Effects
  • Ability to Import Custom Models
  • Ability to Import Custom Textures


So wish me luck and check back!
- Dan

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of an online SFPS, it would certainly differ from what's currently on the market. I was thinking, rather than two teams on a map like any other FPS, only one team would be on the actual map while the other would assign where to put guards and sensors, someone could manage the security cameras, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. SFPS is a neat idea. What if you incorporated melee/medeival weapons into that idea, so that it was like... multiplayer ninja battles?

    ReplyDelete