Pages

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

More Updates and User Friendliness!

Hey all,

    I've been updating and changing things all night! I'm very close to Pre-ALPHA 3.0, but I still have a few things to do! About half-way through my work today, I put on a music loop video and continued to work for a little while. I looked at it just before I started to write this...


    I don't feel like I've been working this long. I enjoy coding too much... Anyway! Here are my updates for y'all to see. The big update of the day is... *drumroll* A CHAT BOX!


    That's right! A big ol' chat box for all of your messages and whatnot. You press the 'T' button to bring it up currently. It will display up to 15 messages that have come and gone. I'm working on a way for it to store all of them, but it's not a priority at the moment. You'll also see that I altered the appearance of the regular HUD a bit!


    As you can see, when the chat box is not active, it appears half as opaque, and only displays six lines at a time so it doesn't get in the way. These messages are all sent to the server before getting to the player, so I made sure they registered in console as well:


    The whole chat system went much more smoothly than I expected. Once I finished that, I moved on to the next step: Quest Interaction! Yes, quests now use the chat system to tell you important things like quest goals, character dialogue, etc. Here's the new and improved "Into the Fire" quest that I showed you yesterday:


    I also created a new Quest Type! It's called a "Chat Quest". Essentially, it's a quest in which you have to go talk to somebody, then return to the original person. Here's a sample quest I made of this type:


    And as you can see in all these pictures, the chat box only displays six lines, but when you go into the chat box, you can see more.You may also notice that Quests now have a Reward feature. Quests can now give items as rewards for completing quests. In this case, I made the Blue Test Item no longer a default item, but rather something you obtain through these quests. Thirston has two quests, as you have seen. He will not give you the second quest until the first is complete, and he will not give you any more quests after you finish them all. He will just idly make chit-chat, or if he has no idle chat set, he will just sit there.

    So let's take a look at the inventory, shall we? I've changed and upgraded several things:


    Aside from Empty Slots now appearing as "- - -", you will now notice that items have their icon displayed beside them. But wait, there's more!


    When you click on items, they are now highlighted, so you can see what you have selected more easily. You may also notice that there is no longer an "Unequip" and a "Use" button on the inventory screen. It now toggles back and forth. If you select an item that can be equipped, it turns into an "Unequip" button. If you select an item that can be used, it turns into a "Use" button, as such:


    And yes, the potion is green now. The blue potion looked a bit too much like water to me. I also fixed a bug in which pressing the unequip button repeatedly while the same item was selected would cause it to unequip multiple times, resulting in negative health.

    Also worth noting, you can see below that quest text does not get sent to the server, so only you will see it locally, and you won't see others' quest text either!


    I'm happy with the progress I've made, and I intend to continue for a little while before I slumber. I've also added another new DONATION INCENTIVE! They are also listed under the donation header on the blog now. This is a big one, unfortunately, but I usually try to keep them cheap! Until Friday night at midnight, if you donate $15.00, you can DESIGN A QUEST for the game! As always, it must fit the game's theme, of course! Also, I'm lowering the price of my previous incentive (Naming a character) to $3.00! It seems a better value in retrospect. Keep in mind, by the way, that I'm constantly adding new Quest Types. You won't be limited to the current two choices!

Thank you for your reads and follows!
- Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment